This recipe is kind of a two-for-one. It’s an oil free baba ghanoush with herbs and spices. You can serve it with crostini (just toast some french bread in the oven), as is pictured below, or use it as a base for a veggie wrap. Using the air fryer to cook the eggplant adds a nice smokiness to the dish. Here, I’m using tender purple eggplant so I don’t have the added step of salting.
2 purple eggplants, cleaned, cut into 3-4 parts, and then sliced length-wise
2 tablespoons tahini (made from sesame seeds only)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
the juice of three lemons
1/2 teaspoon each turmeric, cumin, chili flakes and black pepper
1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
1 teaspoon fresh mint, minced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
salt and pepper, to taste
- Roast the eggplants in the air fryer on the highest setting for ten minutes, flip and rotate them, and then cook for 10-12 minutes more. The eggplant flesh should be very soft, and charred on the outside. Allow the eggplants to cool, and then remove the skins, reserving the flesh for the spread.
- Using a high-speed blender, puree the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and soaked cashews. Add the water.
- Add the turmeric, chili flakes, and cumin, and puree.
- Add the eggplant flesh and puree.
- Place the mixture in a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste, and then add the dried fenugreek, fresh cilantro, and fresh mint.
- Sprinkle with the smoked paprika.