This mild-tasting, rich, creamy high-protein cheese sauce is perhaps my new favorite thing. You can use it on chili and pasta and even as a dip for your favorite baked tortilla chips.
You can find the lentils on Amazon or most online Indian grocers if you can’t find them IRL. Here, I’ve created a thicker sauce. If you want a thinner sauce, use additional nutmilk.
1/4 cup red lentils (masoor dal)
1/4 cup husked black lentils (urad dal)
1/4 cup yellow lentils (toor dal)
1/4 cup garlic powder
1 cup nutmilk
1 cup nutritional yeast
salt, to taste
water, to soak and cook the lentils
- Pour the lentils into a bowl, and pick through them to remove any stones. Rinse them three times..
- After the third rinse, cover them with water so they are completely submerged. Cover the bowl with a coffee filter and secure with a rubber band. Allow the lentils to sit on the counter overnight.
- The next day, place the lentils into the Instant Pot along with their soaking water and 1/2 cup additional water.
- Secure the lid of the Instant Pot and click the Bean/Chili setting.
- Once the lentils are cooked, carefully release the pressure valve, and place the lentils in a high speed blender.
- Blend on high for 2-3 cycles to crush and puree the lentils.
- Add the garlic powder and nutritional yeast. Add salt, if desired.