This is a fast and easy bagel recipe that will make you feel like a deli pro. You can top these delicious treats with your favorite toppings or use them as a base for sandwiches like an A-L-T (avocado, lettuce, tomato).
Fat-free Country-style French Bread dough
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
kosher salt, optional
additional flour for kneading
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Boil the water and add the baking powder.
- Line two baking trays with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Create a dinner-roll sized ball of dough. Using two fingers, poke a hole in the middle, and then stretch the hole until it is about 2 inches in diameter.
- Using a large slotted spoon, carefully dip the bagel into the water. Do not let it float off the spoon. Let the bagel cook for two minutes.
- Remove the spoon with the bagel from the water, flip, and cook on the other side for two minutes.
- As you cook each bagel, place it on one of the baking trays, making sure that the bagels do not touch.
- Optional: just before placing the bagels in the oven, top with kosher salt, if desired. I opted to bake these bagels without it.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning the bagels over in the middle of the bake cycle.
- Remove the bagels when they are crusty brown.