Like the pita bread recipe, these tortillas are fat-free, and so easy. The process to make them is exactly the same, too (sans the yeast).
3 1/2 cups all-purpose or gluten-free flour
Approximately 1 1/2 cups water (depending on the moisture in the air)
1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- Lightly mix the flour, water and salt together using a utensil or your hands.
- With a mixer that has been fitted with a dough hook attachment, knead the dough until it forms a ball and is pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover the dough and chill it in the refrigerator for two hours or more. This will make it easier to work with.
- When thoroughly chilled, press out the dough using a tortilla press. Lightly cook the tortilla so that it is easy to handle, but still raw inside.
- Place it on a pizza stone that has been heating in 450 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow the tortilla to cook on the stone for approximately 3-4 minutes until it is cooked through. The tortilla may puff. This is okay. As tortillas are cooking in the oven, continue to press out new ones on the tortilla press until you have used all of the dough.
For Tostada Shells:
- Using 2 1/2 tablespoons of dough, press out a larger tortilla just as you would do for smaller tortillas.
- Place the large tortilla on the hot stone, and allow it to cook for approximately 7 minutes, or until crisp, turning at over as needed. If it puffs up, pierce it very carefully with a chopstick. The steam that is released will be very hot.