If you are craving something different, this slightly spicy curry is for you. Black beans and sweet potatoes meet in a coconut sauce that is flavored with tamarind, lime, and ginger. For this recipe, I made a Jamaican curry powder that has hints of anise, cayenne, and allspice.
1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 small onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 can coconut milk
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
juice of 1 whole lime
juice of 1 whole orange
1 teaspoon vegan sugar
1 tablespoon Jamaican curry powder
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt, to taste
- Dice the onions and carrots. Mince the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno.
- Click the “Saute” setting on the Instant Pot. While it heats, peel and cube the sweet potato.
- When the Instant Pot is hot, add the oil, and then saute the onions and carrots until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno, and saute for 1-2 minutes, until the garlic is golden.
- Add the sweet potatoes, and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Add the water, coconut milk, lime and orange juice, tamarind, sugar, and curry powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the black beans.
- Close and lock the Instant Pot lid. Click the “Chili/Bean” setting.
- Allow the curry to cook, and for the steam to release naturally.
- Season with salt, if desired.