This ginger and spice infused curry is packed with flavor. Serve it with brown rice or oil- free flatbread.
1/3 cup yellow lentils (I used chana dal)
1 bunch thoroughly washed collard greens
1 small onion
1 ripe small tomato
1-2 inch knob of ginger
3 cloves garlic
1/2 jalapeno pepper
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon each mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and ground turmeric
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp. oil (use an oil sprayer)
1 cap full of vinegar
- Turn on the Instant Pot. Click the “Hot” setting.
- Dice the onions, and mince the garlic, jalapeno, and ginger and put aside.
- Remove the stems from the collard greens and stack them.
- When the Instant Pot is hot, lightly mist the bottom of it with the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, onions, garlic, jalapeno, and ginger. Stir.
- Roll the collards pile, and chiffonade (cut into thin slices).
- When the onions begin to caramelize, add the collards. Stir.
- Add the lentils. Stir.
- Add the turmeric, paprika, tomato paste, water, coconut milk, vinegar and pepper. Stir.
- Cut an x at the bottom of the tomato, and place it on top of the curry.
- Set the Instant Pot to the “Chili and Bean” setting.
- After the curry has cooked, stir, and then sprinkle it with the cilantro. Add salt if desired.