This is one of those one pot wonders that is so satisfying, yet so simple, you will want to make it all the time.
1 can chickpeas, or 1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups dry brown Basmati rice
1 carrot, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 small, ripe, sweet tomatoes (e.g., plum or vine)
1 cup (8 oz.) water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
- Click the Instant Pot’s “Saute” setting. Let the Instant Pot heat up until hot (the word “Hot” will flash across the screen).
- Add the onions, carrots, zucchini, and garlic, and saute until the onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the rice and quickly toast it (some of it should begin to turn a slightly darker shade of brown).
- Add the water and turn off the Instant Pot. Stir.
- Add the chickpeas and stir again.
- Cut an x at the bottom of both tomatoes. Add them whole to the Instant Pot.
- Put the cover on the Instant Pot, lock it, and click the “Rice” setting.
- When the rice has finished cooking, allow it to stand for 5 minutes. Using a fork, break up the tomatoes, and incorporate them into the rice.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast. Add salt and pepper to taste.
You can serve this rice with your favorite salsa, chutney or hot sauce.