Horchata, served in many Latin American countries, is a chilled rice and nut drink that can be flavored with fruits, alcohol or spices. In this cinnamon/vanilla version, healthy hemp seeds are added.
¾ cup raw almonds
¾ cup rice
2 cups water for soaking
½ cup hemp seeds
6 cups cold filtered water
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 cinnamon stick
2- 3 drops liquid Stevia
- Heat the two cups of water until it is simmering.
- Place the rice, hemp, cinnamon stick, almonds, and vanilla in a large metal or glass bowl. Pour the water over it and let stand for at least two hours.
- Strain the water from the rice mixture, and remove the cinnamon stick and any large pieces of vanilla bean.
- Pour the rice, hemp, almonds, and scraped vanilla into a blender and puree.
- Place this mixture into a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer over a glass pitcher.
- Add the cold water.
- Serve over ice, if desired.