If you’ve never had the pleasure of preparing oyster mushrooms, you will be surprised at how hearty and substantial they are. They also shred easily, making them perfect for sauces. Here, they are coated in Sweet and spicy bbq sauce and covered in crunchy, fresh kaleslaw to form the basis of a fusion taco like none other. I like to prepare the kaleslaw the night before making these tacos, to give the veggies a chance to marinate.
6 oz. fresh oyster mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
1 bunch of kale (I used lacinto)
1 large carrot, cleaned, peeled and cut into julienne strips
1-2 spring onions, cut into julienne strips
1/2 cup rice vinegar, divided
1 cup organic ketchup
3 tablespoons gojuchang (Korean red pepper paste)
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
sesame oil, to drizzle (optional)
6 tortillas (I made my own with gluten free flour)
Make the kaleslaw:
- Remove the stems from the kale, and cut the kale into thin strips. Place the kale in a colander, and sprinkle the salt over it. Massage the salt into the kale until the kale begins to soften and wilt (about 2-3 minutes). Allow the kale to stand while you prepare the rest of the slaw.
- Julienne the carrots and spring onions.
- In a salad bowl, whisk together the sugar, rice vinegar, and 1/2 the sesame seeds.
- Rinse the kale thoroughly, and then add it to the salad bowl along with the carrots and spring onions. Toss to combine. You can allow the salad to marinate, covered in the refrigerator, overnight (optional).
Make the bbq sauce:
- In a saucepan, combine the ketchup, hoisin, gojuchang, soy sauce, the remaining rice vinegar, ginger and garlic.
- Allow this mixture to simmer on low until it slightly darkens (about 30 minutes). Stir periodically to ensure that it does not burn.
- Turn off the sauce and allow it to cool.
Make the mushrooms:
- Heat a saute pan until you can drop a few droplets of water in the center, and the droplets form a ball that bounces around the pan.
- Add the oyster mushrooms and allow them to caramelize. Turn once to caramelize the second side. They should look like this:
- When the mushrooms are caramelized on both sides, remove from heat and shred with a fork and your fingers.
- Return the shredded mushrooms to the pan. Add about 3/4th of the bbq sauce, and stir to coat the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds.
- Place 1/6 of the mushroom mixture on each tortilla.
- Spoon on the kaleslaw, to your preference.
- Drizzle on additional bbq sauce and/or sesame oil, if desired.