This salad is so versatile! With just a few additions, it can substitute for tuna, chicken or egg salad. Customize it to make it your own.
2 cups cooked chickpeas (if using canned, select the no sodium variety)
1/4 cup red onion
2 stalks of celery
1 cup whole cashews, soaked overnight in enough water to cover them
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
approx. 3/4 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Drain and rinse the cashews that have been soaking overnight.
- In a high speed blender, pulse together the cashews, lemon, and vinegar with 1/2 the water until smooth. The cashew mixture should have the consistency of sour cream.
- Add more water to thin, if needed. Scrape the sides of the blender to ensure all ingredients are thoroughly pureed.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher or fork until they are somewhat broken down. You will want to leave a few chickpeas whole for texture.
- Dice the onion and celery. Add to the chickpeas.
- Mix in the cashew mixture. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Tuna salad: add 1/4 cup nori flakes
- Chicken salad: add 1 tsp. fresh dill and 1 tsp. vegan poultry seasoning
- Egg salad: omit the sea salt and replace with 1 tsp. black salt
- Curried egg salad: omit the sea salt and replace with 1 tsp. black salt, add 1 tbsp. curry powder, 1/4 cup slivered almonds, and 1/4 cup golden raisins